Friday, March 6, 2009

family portrait


Maybe you remember the trip to Juarez I've mentioned before. I'm going down south with a group of artists to teach kids at the local orphanage to create art. We'll bring the artwork back home in order to sell it all at an art auction we're hosting later in May. All the money made from the auction will be sent back down to the orphanage which is always in great need of financial support.  After much touch-and-go, the trip is back on, despite the current ticklish environment of our destination. There's a meeting tonight with the team. Mainly to answer any questions and finalize the travel details. We'll pull out of Denver in two weeks and hit the road 'round midnight. It'll be a quick trip, we will return home Tuesday, 24th, close to 7 pm. 

The project I've come up with, will be to guide the kids in drawing self portraits. I'm going to have them use oil pastels on black paper. I've been messing around this week with the pastels to get an idea for how I want to teach the kids. I hadn't much experience in this medium and I've quickly grown to like it. It's an elegant nod to my crayola days. 

In comparison to my own work, this little project will produce something very different.

Here are a four drawings I've done over the last two days. These drawings are a little more nuanced perhaps than I expect the kid's work to be, but this is what I'm shooting for. I thought I'd grow my technique by doing portraits of Sharon, myself, and our two roommates. Cheers.

Dave













No comments:

Post a Comment